While we’re all stuck safe at home, Better Builders has been going through a serious technological transition. It’s taken a little bit of time, but we’ve come together as a team to transition to a virtual workforce in every way possible. We’re thankful for video conferencing platforms to be able to get our whole team together each week for check-ins. And we’re thankful for the way video conferencing allows us to work with you! In fact, Zoom has become our key to navigating a successful virtual design meeting.
We are still accepting new projects and doing virtual consultations! We’ve worked with our friends at Housewarming Seattle to solidify our virtual design meeting structure. Here’s how it goes:
Our New Virtual Process
- Initial site visit: The base of this meeting still functions as normal; except we’re doing it over Zoom! We can take a walk around your space and look at the project areas. We’re just in your hand rather than next to you!
- Designer Interview: if appropriate, we will have our designer join the site visit call. This way we can get acquainted with you and your space all at once.
- Proposal: We’ll write up a proposal based on your needs and get it to you within 2 business days.
- Proposal acceptance and deposit paid.
- Site measure: our design partners at Housewarming have put together this handy site measurement cheat sheet. Take some dimensions for us and we can get the design process started!
Helpful Documents from You
If you’re considering any structural changes, such as removing a wall, moving plumbing or electric, or doing an addition, it would be helpful for your remodeler to see the original plans of your house. If you don’t have the plans, don’t worry, you can still have a very productive meeting. For those of you considering an addition, the plot or survey would be helpful to review to determine exactly where your lot lines are. If you have either of these documents handy, it would be great to send a pdf or picture of them to your remodeler prior to your virtual design meeting. This will give your design build team a chance to familiarize themselves with your home prior to the meeting.
Just as if this meeting were held in your home, a virtual design meeting will likely involve many questions from both you and your remodeler. Your remodeler should have questions for you about how your home currently functions for you to learn more about your needs. Some questions to ask you remodeler, be that Better Builders or others, may include:
Are you licensed and insured?
Have you worked on projects like this before?
Do you have any references I can speak to?
Who will be executing the design, management and construction of this project?
Making it Work
With a simple sketch, basic measurements and our virtual meeting we are able to start your plan for your future home remodel!
We can evaluate your space and your needs to come up with a proposal for making your dream a reality. Whether you want to start your construction project as soon as possible or a year down the line, now is the time to start planning. By creating a full plan now, you can hit the ground running when you’re ready.